From:
Michele Fitzgerald <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 7 Jan 1980 20:22:34 -0500
Hello all,

A most remarkable thing has happened.  I, being absolutely, positively
certain that I was done, finished, couldn't take any more MF ferret-induced
sadness.....well, I have another.  I was never looking, just at work, doing
my normal thing, when in comes a Petco employee for an exam for a ferret.
She owns ferrets, and has one that just had surgery, and I thought this was
another of hers.  I come in the room, and the vet goes...:"Oooh, show her!"
Uh-oh, show me what?  I think.  Well, the girl pulls out this baby and
blurts out, "he's four mos old, and will go back or to a shelter if no one
can take him.  I can't, because my guy is so sick."  I'm stoic,.....so what
if he's a cute blaze who doesn't bite and LOVES to cuddle.  He gets
treated for mite eggs, and an exam for falling at the store and having some
hematuria.  He goes back to store.  I'm good...I go home.  Get home, and
the collar that my husband got for the dog doesn't fit...we go back to the
store where he got it.....they have no more of the other size.  Want to go
to the OTHER store?  He asks....

I break down and just...tell him about the ferret...who by the way, the
employee had lovingly named Gus...Joe heads in that direction like a
madman...I say, I don't know Joe...HE says..."it's fate, Finnegan has sent
him our way....they'll kill him if he goes back, and wouldn't you love
another lap cuddler?  All the others just go go go."  Well...he was awful
polite, and cute, and not a biter at all.

Well that sealed it for Joe...we get to the store..."We're here for Gus"!
They look at us kinda funny, and I here one murmering "Do we have a Gus who
works here?" "No, the ferret!" I say.  Ohhhhhhh... He's in a little cage in
"the back room".  We get him, bring him home during the ending of our first
snowstorm.

He's a great little guy.  Why would no one want him....big ole blaze and
all.  It's wierd, how animals sometimes just come your way.  I truly
believe it was a strange twist of fate because never before have any
ferrets come to our hospital from the petstore, and I've been working there
for almost 3 years now.  Gussy makes me smile again...and I think it's
Finny's way of saying..here Mom, you need some medicine now more than I do.
Thanks, Finnegan.....

Missing you, Finny,
Michele