From:
mary ann <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 27 Mar 2004 00:36:02 -0500
Dear FML'ers
A few days ago when I was writing my e-mails & letters to the USDA and my
local NJ politicians--I decided to write a thank you e-mail to Dr Kudrak
herself--or at least try.  I found the website for the Hospital she works
at in Poughkeepsie NY and sent an e-mail of appreciation to her.

She wrote me back today.  Really sweet e-mail from her.  I am so glad I
wrote her.

As soon as I first read about the petition I knew I would write the
USDA--however to be honest--the anger and frustration about Ferris'
recent health issues and Anthony's adrenal surgery really fueled me
sooner than I had expected to write.  One thing about the illness' to
be grateful for right?

I know we all have our share of kit/Pet shop horror stories
I do to--too many to talk about-- However one really sad incident sticks
out in my mind--

I have been working on (kindly) educating a local shop that sells MF
babies.  I stop in often.  The babies on this particular visit seemed so
tiny & young to me--the usual age I know but I just happened to stop by
the day they arrived---so tiny.  2 sweet tiny boys--one Colored White
with really big expressive dark eyes-- was suckling his sable buddies
ear.  (He so reminded me of my Ferris) He was all white save for his
solid black tail & one single spot of black on his butt.  Truly the
cutest baby ferret I have ever seen.

The next week I stopped by to find the tiny Colored White boy
whimpering & crying out loud--non stop--all on his own---his buddy had
been sold and he was crying out in his fear & loneliness

OMG---I cannot even tell you what earth summoned strength it took on my
part--to not buy him right then & there--and to exit that pet store--Oh I
can still literally feel the ache in my chest as I write this--the images
& sounds of that babies soulful pain--will always be imbedding in my
mind.  Fighting within myself on the drive home.  Thinking of the four
I already care for at home.  The four I already struggle with to afford
proper medical care.  If I take this one home will I soon find myself
in a place where I cannot afford someone's future medical treatments?
Definitely.

He was too young to be taken from his mother, too young to be weaned--and
then too young to be separated from his buddy.  I am SO glad my daughter
was not with me that day, but I told her about it and she has written her
USDA & NJ Politician letters as well as some of her friends.

Anyhow everyone please be sure to write
Take Care All
Mary Ann