From:
Janet O'Brien <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 30 Sep 1997 15:41:32 -0400
I happened to be at my local animal pound today to report an apparent lost
dog to our animal control officer.  While there I spotted a handsome sable
fellow in a small cage.  I asked her about him/her and she said he was found
yesterday.  She was taking him to the vet because he had what she thought
were some type of dark pustules all over him.  Well, I just spoke to her via
phone (we are so lucky to have this super lady for animal control) and she
told me that the vet assured her he was apparently healthy but was infested
with fleas and ticks so badly that it did appear he had "pustules" all over
him.  They are keepin him overnight to treat him.  He appears to be a young
(looks less than a year to me), handsome, male neutered ferret.  I can't
tell you if he had Marshal tatoos because those ticks were all over his ears
too.  I did notice that he was very tame and friendly...not a biter, and it
appeared his nails have been looked after as they are well trimmed.  This
guy has not been out long as he is obviously not starving and aside from the
parasites he looks good.  He was found near the Kingston Transfer Station
(dump) however, and there are no houses real close there, so one does wonder
if he was thrown away.  I did tell Deb (the animal officer) I would foster
him once he gets a clean bill of health from the vet, but I already have one
little rescue girl and my own four babies, so I can't keep him.  I'm writing
in the event that someone knows if this fellow was lost or not.  If anyone
has information you could let me know and I'll pass it on to Deb.  I know
she is interested in this fellow being in a safe environment and she intends
to question the owner if he is in fact claimed cause he should never have
been allowed to get in this state.  I feel confident that this fellows
future is brighter than his past!

Janet