From:
Rebecca Coleman <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 13 Sep 1996 14:57:13 +0100
Hello again,
The decision is now final and unfortunately this weekend I will begin my
move to the dreaded Ca Ca land.  I have decided that the best route is
through Bullhead City Nevada, indirectly to LA.  I can't remember who told
me the whereabouts of the Gestapo, but thanks.  It seems that lately all
I've read about on the FML has been disturbing stories about ferrets in
California and I've been having nightmares all week.  Add to that the
anxiety of a cross- country move, quitting my
financially-stable-if-artistically-vacant job, and the fear of committing to
a profession that is notoriously impossible (acting).  But hey when did the
impossible ever stop my SO or me.  We will be spending 2 1/2 weeks on our
cross country trek and Jitterbug and Monkey will be right there with us.
We're kind of low on money so we will be staying at campsites along the way.
We leave N.Y.  go to Morton Pennsylvania for a few days, then straight to
New Orleans (3 days there), onward to Houston for a week (my parents live
there), then to the Grand Canyon, and finally to LA.

I want to thank everybody who offered advice about traveling with ferrets
(don't worry we have very good air-conditioning and they will never be left
in the van).  And I actually have one or two more questions.

(1).  Has anybody ever taken their ferrets to a beach?  I know we would have
to provide good shade and cool water, but how are ferrets with sand?

(2) Is it okay to let them run at the ocean?  (I don't know if they would
even want to, but if they do, what about the salt water?)

Please e-mail me directly as I won't be able to get the FML for a little
while.

Oh, while I was packing Monkey gave me a major heart attack (seems to be a
lot of that going around).  She got into my stage make-up bag and grabbed a
tube of eyelash adhesive (mabeline).  I tried to get it from her, but she
would not let go and it broke in her mouth - eyelash adhesive everywhere.  I
rushed her to the sink to wash her face, but she was already lapping it up
as quickly as possible (AND when I tried to wash off the goop, the force of
the water pushed some of it right down her throat - I was basically insane
at this moment).  I called poison control immediately and they told me don't
worry because eyelash adhesive hardens almost immediately and it would all
come out "in the end".  Unconvinced, I called an Animal hospital (my vet is
on vacation) and they also said she would be fine.  THEY TOLD ME I DIDN"T
NEED TO DO ANYTHING.  I was unsure so spent the next several hours giving
her lots of water and watching for any signs of trouble.  But she seemed
fine, running, playing, very energetic.  Well she coughed a few times, and I
spent the night awake and watching her (waking her up if she went to sleep),
but she seems to be fine.  I can't believe no one thought I needed to do
anything, but everything is fine today.  Does anyone, especially you
Dr.Williams, know of something I should have done or still need to do?
Again, she never threw up, her poop looks fine and she seems happy and
healthy.  Sorry this post is so long, I will try to check in again when I
reach Houston.  Until then I can be reached at my e-mail directly.  See you
all later

     Rebecca
     Monkey (mommy, glue tastes great!)
     & Jitterbug ( I don't see what all the fuss is about, lets get roll'n
     already).