From:
Nancy Hartman CIS graduate student <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 28 Mar 1992 23:52:16 -0500
Robbin:  The bald spot on the ferret's shoulder blades sounds a lot like
a bald spot caused by ferret rough housing.  Are you sure the other's haven't
been dragging her around more than usual?

Wednesday's mom:  If you are going to have any chance of getting Wednesday
to wear a collar you should start as soon as possible.  Keep it snug, but
not tight.  She will take it off every 10 minutes at first, so you
will be constantly looking for her collar (getting 2 or 3 might not be
such a bad idea).  Within a day or two she'll get used to it, but still
expect her to pull it off every few days.  Then every few weeks.  Mine
are 2 1/2 and 3 1/2 now, and they are up to about every 6 months they'll
pull their collars off.  But I do HIGHLY recommend that you keep collars
on them.  If they do happen to escape it could save their life, because
they will be recognized as pets and not "wild animals", and hopefully
rescued.  Also, mine are house-ferrets, and I've found the bells they
wear to be absolutely invaluable.  I'm pretty sure they've saved their
lives on more than one occasion.  I always know when a ferret is underfoot,
so I go into my "shuffle walk", and I can tell when they're into something
they shouldn't be.  When they are asleep somewhere, all I have to do is
call to get their attention, as soon as they move I know where they are.
Once Bree did manage to escape, and we didn't even know it until we heard
the bell jingling around in the garage behind a row of junk.  (Pretty
frightening!!!)

About leash training, just don't push it.  Let her get used to being ON
a leash before you try to lead her around by it.  Have patience, if she
REALLY doesn't want to be led by the leash, don't make her.  You will just
end up scaring her and she'll rebel every time you try.  Don't expect
her to walk like a dog does.  Some do, but rarely.  You will be lucky enough
if you are able to get her to go the way you want most of the time.

BTW, alway use a harness when walking on a leash.  You don't want to
hurt her neck.

Katie:  Thanks!  And I got the stationary from FerretStuff.  Let me know if
you need the address.

Chris:  I just got all the mailing lists since 3/8 today.  Is this a problem
from your end, or are they having a problem here?  I suspect it's here, but
I figured I would ask you first.

Nancy Hartman                     CIS graduate student
[log in to unmask]                  U. of Delaware
        President and founder, Delaware Valley Ferret Club
                      Owner of Percy & Bree