Date:
Sun, 15 Aug 2004 19:16:46 -0700
Hi, all.
Back to work.

Two ferrets crossed the Bridge from the same home at nearly the same
time, and is so often the case, one waited halfway across the Bridge for
the other to catch up.  That is why I heard the patter of eight feet
crossing the Bridge.

I looked up, and I saw Skatter and Bianca, stretching their necks out to
pick up this worlds smells, their whiskers alert and questioning.

Skatter, I knew, had come to his Hoomin Linda's shelter after leaving a
bad home, where he was fed rabbit food.  (Never tried it myself, I hear
it is *terrible*!) Bianca came to the shelter with many health problems.
Of course now, there is no way that you would ever guess that she, too
had once been blind like Grandmother, and hairless, too!  Bianca's eyes
are deep and dark and have spirit in them.  Her coat is lush, and very,
very soft, especially beneath the chin!

Skatter, Bianca and I decided to check out some possible homes for them,
so we strapped on our wings and tilted them into the lofting breeze just
right.  We lifted off one by one, and became part of the sky.  We flew
over fields of long grass and wildflowers until we came to the Plain of
Sofas.  There, we settled down carefully.  (Well, Skatter sort of
*thumped* down, but he wasn't hurt.)

We stashed our wings beneath a red tufted chenille recliner with side
pockets on the arms for the TV Guide, and trotted around, exploring.  We
saw many makes and models and fabrics.  The one that really caught their
eye was a low-slung black leather model.  With the proper modifications
(stuffing ripped out of the bottom, leather chewed, etc.) it really had
possibilities.

Imagine our surprise as we climbed up and onto it when a little head
popped out of a nearly invisible hole between the seat cushions!  It was
Isabelle, a little girl that I had Greeted not too long ago.  Actually, I
had been meaning to check in on her and see how she was doing, as she was
a singleton-no Business, no Brothers or Sisters in Fur.

"Good morning, Sandee!" she said.  "Who are your friends?" she said,
sniffing politely.

Well, once I could breathe again (Skatter fell over backwards, just as
well he couldn't poof!)I introduced everybody.  We apologized for
tresspassing, but Isabelle's sofa looked so intact that it wasn't clear
that it was occupied.

Then she did a really nice thing!  She invited Skatter and Bianca to
share it with her, and they agreed.  An excellent solution!

Was it truly an enormous sofa, as Isabelle said?  Well, no.  It was a
fairly compact little Italian number.  It was enormous, though, if you
lived all alone in it, and I think that Skatter and Bianca understood
that.  They had both been through a lot before they had gotten to good
homes.  Isabelle had a good home with good Hoomins, but she didn't have
anybody up here, as I said.

Well, she does, now.

As I left them, they were happily tearing the stiching out of the left
arm from the inside.  It's good to have friends.

Sandee