Date:
Fri, 14 Apr 2000 06:52:32 -0500
Q: "I've been told egg whites cause anemia but one of my friends say to
    prove it. Can you help me prove it?"

A: The only thing I've been asked to prove lately is my sanity.

RAW egg whites can cause anemia (and other problems) in mammals when
ingested in large quantities over extended periods of time.  The protein
which causes the problem is an antinutrient (antivitamin glycoprotein)
called "Avidin," which binds to biotin (of the vitamin B complex)
preventing absorption (the avidin-biotin complex is indigestible and passes
on through).  Symptoms of biotin deficiency include decreased hemoglobin
and red blood cells, body rash and dermatitis, alopecia (hair loss),
reduced appetite, nausea and vomiting, conjunctivitis, and fatty liver.
Biotin is important in fatty acid synthesis and pyruvate metabolism within
glycolysis and is required in carboxylase reactions (an enzyme which adds
carboxyl groups to carbon chains) and gluconeogenesis (synthesis of glucose
from noncarbohydrates).

Notice the emphasis on "LARGE quantities over EXTENDED periods of time?"
That means the occasional uncooked egg white will not harm a healthy
ferret; since the passage time through a ferret's intestines in about 4
hours or so, the loss of biotin is limited and easily replaced during the
next meal.  You probably have a greater threat from Salmonella than anemia.
Cooking the egg white completely eliminates both problems.  Oh yes; the
problem of anemia due to the long term consumption of raw egg white has
been experimentally proven in both mink and ferrets.  It is not a rumor
nor a myth, but a fact.

Here are some excellent references you can use to "prove" the point (which
you can use to find even more):
1) T. Navarra and M. A. Lipkowitz 1996 "Encyclopedia of Vitamins, Minerals
   and Supplements." Facts on File, Inc.; NY.
2) J. Adrian, G. Legrand and R. Frangne 1988 "Dictionary of Food and
   Nutrition." VCH Publishers; NY.
3) C. D. Berdannier 1998 "CRC Desk Reference for Nutrition." CRC Press;
   Boca Raton, FL.
4) S. E. Aiello and A. Mays 1998 "The Merck Veterinary Manual," (8th ed).
   Merck & Co.; NJ.
5) J. G. Fox.  1998 "Biology and Diseases of the Ferret," (2nd ed).
   Williams & Wilkins; MD.

One other thing; biotin deficiency can be caused by other factors beside
ingesting egg whites.  Since biotin is not considered toxic, if you notice
these symptoms and your vet has ruled out adrenal or other problems, ask
about giving a biotin supplement.  It can't hurt.

Q: "Can I cook your chicken gravy...will it still be good?"

A: Depends. As good as me? Or as good as chocolate?

ANY cooking denatures proteins (one reason why it kills germs) which can be
good or bad depending on time and heat and the specific animo acid.  Since
ferrets evolved consuming proteins (they ARE carnivores), they have the
proper enzymes to cut the proteins into useful chunks without cooking.
Cooking is unnecessary and can reduce the amount of essential amino acids.
HOWEVER, since so many people demand some sort of cooking time because of
fear of contamination, I suggest you cook it until barely pink.
Personally, I don't cook mine any more than a quick nuking with the
microwave.

Q: "...Can ferrets eat popcorn?"

A: Only if they pop in their dentures. OK, it was a corny joke.

I would NOT recommend it.  The hulls are indigestible and could cause
obstructions.  The exploded kernel would probably pass through, but since
corn products have been linked to the formation of certain types of urinary
stones in specific conditions, why risk the trouble?  Try 1 cm squares of
dried fruit, the occasional honey nut cheerio, or even dried fish, shrimp
or beef.  Just remember, treats are not treats if fed in "meal amounts."
Give them sparingly.

Bob C and 16 Mo' Ferret Food Fanatics