From:
Newcomb Samantha R SrA 2OSS/CCC <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 19 Dec 2005 09:13:48 -0600
>Don't get a dog from from a shelter.  I don't mean puppies; I mean a
>dog.  God only knows what happened to that dog before he arrived at
>the shelter.

Although I do agree with the overall general idea of your post I can not
condone saying do not adopt a fully grown dog from a shelter.  I'm not
trying to flame, I'm just trying to tell people to please don't rule it
out.  I have 2 Eskimo mix dogs that were both adopted from a regular old
state run animal shelter, and they are just fine with the ferrets.  Even
if they all didn't get along the ferret have their own room that the dogs
can't get into.  The dogs can watch them through the glass but can't play
with the ferrets unless I want them to under supervision.  It's just a
precaution.  Common sense is a big issue.  You wouldn't have a pet bird
running around the house with a rather rambunctious cat on the prowl
ready to leap off the sofa would you?  It's up to your best judgment.
You are right, "God only knows what happened to that dog before he
arrived at the shelter.", and God only knows what would happen if
they stayed there.  If it was a fully grown ferret no one would have
objections to adopting it, why the problems with a fully grown dog?  If
you're worried about the reactions there are plenty of shelters that
are not state run that will let you have a "trial period".  I'm not a
personal big fan of breeders either.  Inbreeding and whatnot has been
changing breeds dramatically over the years.  In my personal opinion a
mixed breed is better, they are usually smarter, more well behaved and
have less medical issues.  Take the adult dog home and introduce them to
the ferrets.  Keep the dog on a leash and under control.  If it doesn't
work out don't give up.  There are plenty of other dogs that need homes
that could be great for you and your business of ferrets.  My bottom line
point is this, puppies are relatively easy to adopt out, everyone wants a
puppy...it's the adults that suffer.  So I ask the ferret owners that are
looking for a dog, please don't just rule them out because they are 1+
years old.  Every animal deserves a chance at a better life....