From:
Sukie Crandall <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 21 May 2011 12:30:23 -0400
An FML member was curious about the differences between pine oils
(which can cause allergic reactions in some ferrets, and which are
largely removed from pressed pellet pine litters) and cedar oils
which are toxic. An old but useful reference is here:

http://www.trifl.org/cedar.shtml

and that leads me into the topic of resources in two ways.

First it allows me to point to multiple other resources made possible
by the wonderful Pam and Eric Sessoms and those with whom they work
such as these resources:

1. The easily searched FHL Archives:

http://ferrethealth.org/archive/

Pam is one of the senior owners of the Ferret Health List and is the
creator of many of its helpful features. If you go to the Files section
in the FHL you can open the compounding veterinary pharmacies list
which is a good resource to always know exists:

and by linking from in there you can also get to a great list of ferret
vets:

http://ferrethealth.org/vets/

Also useful for ferret vets is the well know Ferret Universe, of
course:

http://www.ferretuniverse.com/

I am not sure if I am supposed to say who the women are who currently
make Mike Janke's website available, but it has very useful articles
(though some by non-vets are less accurate now that more is known,
especially some adrenal-related ones by non-vets since much has been
discovered about that disease and related topics):

http://www.miamiferret.org/

Some of the articles there are simply not available elsewhere,
including (but not limited to) excellent heart worm information,
and megaE information.

Second, the original topic of pine vs cedar leads me to recommend
PubMed:

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/sites/entrez

for example (only one recent example):

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed?term=Pine%20Oil%20toxin

which in turn leads to

http://medicina.kmu.lt/0408/0408-17e.pdf

A resource made possible by Dr. Bruce Williams is a classic and answers
many of the ferret health questions people have:

http://www.afip.org/consultation/vetpath/ferrets/index.html

The articles there to which I find myself most often directly people
are the ones one lymphoma, the nature of neoplasums, Confusion and
Controversy in Interpreting Ferret Clinical Pathology Data, and
Deciphering Ferret GI pathology reports (Reprinted from Vet Practice
News, September 2002), but every one of them has come in useful for
ferret people.

Another pathologist, who will be speaking soon in the upcoming IFC
Symposium:

http://www.ferretcongress.org/

is Doctor Matti Kiupel and he and his group make possible an absolutely
outstanding and very up to date resource:

http://www.ferrethealth.msu.edu/

Now, this message is getting long so...

On closing there is another resource which must never be forgotten, the
easily searched Ferret Mailing List Archives provided by Bill Gruber,
FML moderator:

Sukie (not a vet)

Recommended ferret health links:
http://ferrethealth.org/archive/