From:
trina fleissner <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 7 Dec 2010 06:48:20 -0800
In honor of Candy and Sue and the journey that ended so quickly, I
would like to share a few paragraphs from a piece from Dr. Bruce
Williams, veterinarian, ferret pathologist, ferret owner and ferret
lover. It was written for Ferret Magazine a few years ago.

I think it provides us with some of the best advice for not only
understanding what we can about lymphoma, but what to look for and
how perhaps to help our hearts and mind deal with this disease.

The heardest thing to accept about lymphoma, I think, is that is has
no boundaries. It does not care which species, what age, sex, color
or disposition of animal it attacks. There is no time line to predict
how long we have with our pets.

"As a veterinarian who often deals with lymphoma, I often wonder
what I can truly provide in the face of this dreaded disease, and
I usually come away with the same answer -- a realistic appraisal
without false hope. Ferret owners should understand fully the
gravity of this diagnosis, so that they can enjoy what time is
allotted to most animals with this condition. Some owners go to
all lengths to effect treatment; Many seek herbal, dietary, or
holistic cures, and the majority employ palliative therapy in
order to enjoy the "last dance" with their pets. On a personal
level, I've walked that road and danced that dance three times
now with my own ferrets, and I consider my experience no
different than most owners. Even though I am considered to
be a ferret expert, there were no miracles for me (yet!), no
prolonged remissions, but mercifully in two out of three,
some time to say goodbye.

As readers of Ferrets Magazine know, I often try to approach these
articles with humor, or at least optimism. I'm just happy to draw
this one to a close.

The total article can be found at this link:
<http://www.afip.org/consultation/vetpath/ferrets/PDF/Lymphoma_Ferrets.pdf>

I don't recall how I came to find this information, but it has forever
changed how I live with all my pets. As Zoo wrote today, "You never
know who will be next." That is not only true of our ferrets but people
and another pets in our lives. These posts are a simple reminder that
life is precious, it does come to an end and the ending is often not
predictable.

Make that last dance the sweetest.

Cathy