From:
Charlene M Lowe <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 5 Jul 1995 12:51:58 CDT
Just a little update.  Granny is doing good.  Since we took her in about 8
months ago after near starvation, she has gone from a bag of bones, to a
more normal looking ferret, and if I dare say so to a little PLUMPster.  She
is regularly tipping the scales at TWO lbs (her first weigh in at our house
was 0.70 lbs and we were told she had been even skinnier than that).  She is
getting ready to celebrate her 12th birthday!  Granny's poops are almost
always very grainy (they are a good brown color and well formed but they
look like they are made out of wet sand).  About once every month she will
pass one poop that is almost completely mucous and then back to normal.  I
was under the impression that this was normal for an older animal with an
older digestive system.  Does it necessarily mean ECE??  We don't have all
of Granny's history so we don't know if she ever had the greenies.  The rest
of the clan has never shown any symptoms.  I saw the post on the grainy poop
& ECE and got a bit nervous.  Also, we have to start thinking about getting
Granny her vaccinations.  Again, we don't have any history on whether she
reacts or not.  Are much older animals more likely to have reactions??  Is
it worth the risk??  Thanks, Charlene
P.S. I took some polaroids of Granny the other day. If you saw her you would
think she was 100. I hope to get her pictures up on the Web soon.