From:
"William L. Sebok" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 28 Feb 1998 23:23:17 -0500
Dr. Bruce Williams said:
>My biggest regret was that we were unable to isolate the virus - when the
>virus is finally isolated, then definitive diagnostic tests can be made...

I suggest that the ferret community write letters to the vaccine companies
to let them know that there is an interest.  There was a fund to which
people could donate to support the rabies shedding studies.  I hope that a
similar fund is established to support research to develop a diagnostic test
and vaccine for ECE.

I would love to be able to vaccinate our ferrets for ECE.  Then we could be
able to take our ferrets to ferret events again.  We are afraid to acquire a
new ferret, particularly a ferret from a shelter, for fear that it would
infect our other ferrets.  About three years ago we rescued an unwanted
ferret named Bridgett.  We would be afraid to do something like that now.  I
suspect that there are others out there like us.

--- Bill Sebok