Date:
Fri, 15 Mar 1996 11:42:33 -0500
Hi

I have some good news for ferret owners in SC.  Yesterday (Thurs.  Mar 14)
Cheevie & Figit were at the vet for their distemper vaccinations.  The vet
had just received a faxed copy of a draft letter sent out by DHEC concerning
ferrets rabies vaccinations.  SC is in the process of changing the laws from
if a ferret bites someone, they put the animal to sleep, to if the ferret
has had it's rabies shot, they will quarantine the animal.  There will be a
clause such that if the case is unusual (i.e.  the animal bites everyone it
sees, or something really strange like that), they can go ahead and have the
animal put to sleep, but overall, I think it's progress.  Dr.  Platt also
said that there is alot of talk in the state legislature about making
ferrets legal to sell in SC.  Another small victory for fuzzy kind.