From:
Laurel Gilbert <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 24 Feb 1996 22:09:29 -0500
I'll also be dropping a note to the FML tonight, but wanted to ask the three
vets whose addresses I could find to please feel free to call me tonight or
tomorrow (2-24/2-25) collect with advice, etc.

Coco is sick.  He shares a cage with two other ferrets.  They have access to
food (1/2 Marshall Farms, 1/2 Iams kitten) and water freely.  They have not
been out of the cage all day (I've been gone, but usually have 3-8 hours
free roam of 3/4 the house: not the kitchen, laundry room or bathroom.  This
evening when I got home, Coco wasn't as active as the other two, lethargic
and sits on the top level and is staring into space.  I picked him up...no
"masses" in the abdomen, and I offered him Ferretone on the belly which he
took, and cold water which he didn't, and he feels quite warm, and his fur
is kind of.....oily and matted?  Just a slight thing, like when an animal is
sick and their fur just isn't fluffy, you know?  I unforutnately don't have
another cage to isolate him.  The litter box this afternoon had the usual
poops in it, and one lighter brown, somewhat more runny (but not really
watery) poop without any blood/discoloration or lumps/masses.  I don't know
for sure if it is Coco's or not.

My usual ferret vet is out of town until Monday morning at a conference.
They are good with ferrets, though.  I don't know any other ferret vet in my
area...which is about twenty miles outside of Toledo Ohio.  Can I safely
wait unitl Monday morning if he doesn't get obviously worse?  Are there any
recomendations for ferret vets in the Toledo area?  What signs should I look
for for him getting worse?

Vets, please feel free to call me tonight or tomorrow collect, (or just
write email, though I won't be online again tonight) at 419.354.8602 if you
feel Coco needs attention before Monday when I can get ahold of the vet here
that usually sees them.

Thanks a lot!

Laurel, a worried pet person.
 **  "You don't like those ideas?  I got others..." --Marshal McLuhan  **
Laurel Gilbert                        [log in to unmask]
American Culture Studies, BGSU, Ohio        http://www.bgsu.edu/~lgilber/