From:
David & Debi Christy <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 8 Dec 2005 11:06:54 -0600
Re: Life after Lupron

Yes, we've actually kept ferrets on Lupron (we use the 3-month variety)
as a remaining life maintenance med.  We have seen visible improvements
months later, whether the improvement was solely due to the Lupron or a
combination of the Lupron and the ferret's recovering endocrine system, I
don't know.  The important thing to remember about Lupron is that it's
not just affecting hair growth.  It actually alters the de-railed hormone
system's malfunction which is affecting prostate and other endocrine
system glands that don't always have visible symptoms.  I'd be hard
pressed to agree that you will know for sure within 2 weeks if it's
working or not, but I'm not a vet so there may be something I'm missing
there.  I've always just waited until the next coat change period, which
is up to 6 months, to make any kind of decision as to whether or not it
would ever grow back.  Even then, I've seen them regrow some, but not
all hair, then with the next several changes, regrow more each time.

Re: aggressive male ferret

You may just be seeing a 'thin the herd' behavior.  Behavior changes due
to adrenal tumors are hard to pin down.  The 'weak' ferrets would be the
first choice of aggression in either instance, with the exception of a
'weak' ferret being one of the aggressive male's bonded friend.

Re: Door scratching, Evil Ferret, Am I crazy??

Yeah.  You're crazy ;)... like the rest of us.  Plexiglas (1/8" thick
will do) is much quieter when scratched on than wood.  I can sleep
through it quite well.  A ferret-high strip that is floral-puttied to
the bottom of the door works wonders.

This is not a modifiable behavior, it's a survival instinct behavior.
Napoleon is trying to tell you that the boogie man might be in there with
you and he simply can't understand why you've shut the door to prevent
him from patrolling that area.  Not that letting him in would help...
then he'd want to stay because, well, just because.  And at 5am?  Well,
he was up for an early morning before breakfast snack... weren't you?

Debi Christy
Ferrets First Foster Home
www.ferrets1st.com