From:
Karen Douglas <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 10 Jun 2006 14:24:58 -0400
Hola,

Wolfy asks:
I'm really curious to see if ferret/animal people were raised that way
or if those who just so happen to turn into ferret/animal people later
in life have a whole diff kind of personality than the rest of the
population.

I think we are born animal folks.  Ya either get it or ya dont.  I am in
total agreement with Ardith tho.  I like critters much more than most of
the folks I know unless they are animal folks.

We had a monkey when I was a baby.  Most of my other child hood pets were
dogs or cats.  Once we had a parakeet.  After the age of about 10 or 11
we didnt have any more pets until I moved out on my own.

I was known to bring home any and all strays and rehome them.  At the age
of 6 I chased down and caught a chipmunk.  At the age of 7 I was bitten
for hand feeding wild squirrels (sp).  Had a whole neighborhood watching
an entire tree so I would not have to get rabie shots.  (grin)

My beagle Belle and my mom's cat used to bring home tiny baby bunnies.  I
would carefully tend them and make them sweet little beds in boxes, tuck
them in at night and wake up the next morning to find them gone.  My
folks would come in and carry them out to the garden in the hopes their
mothers would find them.

My husband rescued an abandoned prairie dog and brought her home to me.
Took me a year to tame her.  I rehomed her as prairie dogs live in big
colonies and she needed other prairie dogs.

I had a rescue wolf hybrid who was one of the most amazing personalities
ever.  Naki was pure joy and was quite possibly the most beautiful animal
I have ever laid eyes on.

I discovered ferrets in 1996 with Jubilee.  She totaly amazed me.  My
business has been up as high as 12.  All but a few rescues and cast offs.

Currently I have 4 ferrets, 3 of which are rescues.  I have 3 dogs, two
of which are rescues and one parrotlet who is a gift/rescue.  She was
given to me because of a damaged leg.

I could not imagine my life without some kind of animal in it to care
for and to love and to be loved by it.

Thanks Wolfy, this thread is fun!!

HappyTails,
Karen