From:
Lee McKee <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 19 May 1998 11:54:32 +0400
Hi Mark:

Nice summation of what you've learned so far on this morning's FML.  My
ferrets are veterans of very long road trips.  Here are some more tips for
traveling:

-- The carrier should be large enough to serve as an "away cage", but
this still needn't be very large.  In any event, they will need plenty of
out-of-cage time at the destination.

-- Don't worry too much about keeping them occupied or exercised during a
trip of less than 12 hours.  Of course, only professionals should be driving
longer than that anyway (Jason?).  Your mustelid may vary, but I found that
trying to exercise them at rest stops was more trouble than not (trying to
harness them, they were scared of the unfamiliar place, too many dogs and
curious children around, they just wanted to GO HOME!).

-- The carrier should be labeled with what these animals are (PETS!
FERRETS!) your home and destination addresses, your vet's phone number, and
the name of a person to contact in case of emergency.  You should also get
some sort of watertight pouch to attach to the carrier to hold their
vaccination records (I improvise with a Zip-Lock bag and packing tape, but
I have to replace it each time I clean the carrier).

-- Get a thermometer to put on the cage (out of direct sunlight) so that you
can keep an eye on the temperature.

-- Keep the carrier shaded.  I use my windshield shade (big accordion-folded
piece of cardboard) draped over the carrier.

-- If it's hot, freeze a 2-liter soda bottle full of water to put in the
carrier with the ferrets.  Alternatively, a large, wide-mouthed plastic jar
can be packed with ice from convenience stores (or your cooler) on the way.

-- Learn the symptoms of, and how to prevent and treat ****heat stroke****.
(see the Ferret FAQs).  Pack the things that you will need to administer
first aid (a little packet of honey, a cloth, a jug of water).

-- Get the California Domestic Ferret Association's first aid booklet and
keep it with you.  Contact Marie <[log in to unmask]> for how to get a copy.

-- If possible, get the phone numbers for emergency vets on your route.
Pam Troutman's list and ferret clubs in the states through which you are
traveling can give you this information.

-- Put a piece of cloth (such as material from an old pair of jeans) on the
floor of the carrier to help keep it dry and provide traction for the
ferrets to walk.

-- All components within the carrier (hammock, frozen soda bottle,
litterbox, food dishes) must be secured down.  This is not only so that the
ferrets don't knock things around, but so that in a sudden stop or turn (or
heaven forbid, an accident), these things don't go flying around and hurt
the ferrets.  The hammock should be the pouch kind, that the ferrets tuck
themselves into.

-- The carrier itself should be strapped down, preferably with a seat belt
looped through the carrier handle; and the ferrets must stay in the carrier
at all times that the car is moving.  CAUTIONS: Shoving the carrier between
the front and back seats cuts off ventilation.  Do not think that you can
hold a carrier or an animal in your lap and have that animal survive if
there is an accident.  A loose animal in the car is dangerous.

-- Do not use a water bottle.  It will only dribble out and get everything
wet.  Put a very small amount of water in a food bowl, and plan to stop at
least once every two hours to give water to the ferrets (and to check on
them).

-- Don't bother with litter--it really is messy.  Some people use Depends
(TM) chair pads or other incontinence pads; others just use super-absorbent
paper towels in the litter box.  I've used newspaper in a pinch, but it
really is better to use an absorbent product.

-- Remember to ferret-proof when you get to your destination.

-- Lee, one of the Massachusetts Ferret Friends
    Contact MaFF at <[log in to unmask]>
    Hotline: (781) 224-1098
    Visit our web page at http://www.maferrets.org
    SPRING FROLIC: Sunday, May 31, in Boston! Contact us
    for details!