From:
Sukie Crandall <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 17 Jun 2001 12:34:52 -0400
Don't know quite when will send this.  We have a complete regional server
outage, so when next up it will send straight off.

>RETURNS TO THE HEAT!  the weather hee is hot, and she is always in heat.
>now do u get the problem?

Matan, I realize that you are still quite young and that you are sheltered
in this regard, but perhaps you should discuss things like hormones with
your parents so that you understand why you are confusing "heat" as in
temperature with "heat" as is oestrus.  If your parents do not understand
ovulation and such then you need to speak with a vet or your pediatrician.
The temperature does not have anything to do with her vulva swelling or
being reproductively receptive.  At some point in life you need to learn
about reproduction, and if your parents allowed you to have a reproducing
animal to learn then they have to back that up with access to information
and with responsible actions that preserve the female's life.  Hey, human
women have the human equivalent of spays when we need them to preserve
life or health, too.  I did 10 years ago when I was 40.

Continued oestrus (or estrus, or reproductive heat) will likely cause her
to go into aplastic anemia because she has already been so hormonally
messed-up, and aplastic anemia will kill her.

Now, too much heat (as in temperature) is bad, too, and it also can kill,
but it does NOT cause her to go into reproductive heat -- those are two
completely separate things.  In that case she needs to kept cool enough.
The dangers from that are SEPARATE from the dangers of reproductive "heat".

Again: her reproductive heat has nothing -- zip, nada, bubkes, zilch,
nothing -- to do with temperature heat.

You need to sit your parents down and tell them that it is time for "the
talk", that you are faced with an animal who is likely going to die due to
her hormonal problem if you don't take responsible actions, that you have
to make the choices for her without right now understanding the basics of
reproduction and hormones.  If they don't understand hormones then you have
to have a chat with your veterinarian or your pediatrician.  I know that it
is embarrassing for a boy to initiate such a conversation, but you have to
understand this to save you ferret's life.  (Of course, human women don't
go into heats, let alone a heat that can kill, but your folks can teach
you some basics and then you can discuss heats that can kill with your
vet before the ferret's life becomes too compromised to save her It really
would NOT be right for people here to teach you about reproduction in
general.  Folks can give ferret-specific info, but you need to learn the
basics so that things like reproductive heat and temperature heat don't
confuse you, and that just is not our place.)

Growing up isn't easy.  If you try to have things all the way you want
them, Matan, instead of facing reality and doing the responsible things to
save your ferret's life then an unnecessary death likely will occur, given
her hormonal problems.  I realize that this is very hard for you, and that
it may be too hard for you.  If it is too hard and the ferret dies then you
simply are not old enough, mature enough, responsible enough, or informed
enough to have a breeding animal at this stage of your life.  Sometimes
only years can jump certain fences.