From:
Nancy Farlow <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 17 Dec 2005 12:01:28 -0500
Anne wrote:

>And don't panic if they seem to be mauling each other.  I've got a
>dachshund and he's two of the ferrets favorite toy.  They roll around
>on the floor, kicking and biting and scratching and dooking and yipping.
>Louie also treats them like little furry shot-puts, dragging them around
>by their tails, spinning them in circles and then releasing them.  They
>love it.  Me, well it gave me a heart attack at first.  Louie came
>trotting by dragging a spread-eagled ferret behind him by the tail.  I
>took the ferret away.  They both gave me a *look* and went right back
>to it.  <shrug>  Pets.  Who can understand them <g>

Great advice, Anne!  I had good laugh when I read your last paragraph
(above).  It reminded me of how my old dog played with the ferrets, it
was a riot!  The dog was probably a pit bull / German Shepherd mix,
rescued from a crack house in NYC.  You'd never have guessed his origins,
though, he was the sweetest, kindest animal I've ever had.  I had him
before ferrets entered my life, and he took to them like a mother hen.
But to watch them play, you'd have thought the ferrets were history.
He chased them, pounced on them - always careful to catch them between
his rib cage and his leg so he didn't squash them - and he "chewed" on
them.  They loved it!  They teased him by diving under the furniture,
causing him to crash into it.  One ferret in particular got carried
around by the tail, very relaxed, looking like it was a perfectly natural
way to travel around the house.  If Tor was sleeping and the ferrets
wanted to play, they would burrow between his legs and bite his privates
to get him up.  Too bad I didn't have a video camera back then...

Nancy