From:
"March, Jim" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 31 Oct 1996 17:21:00 -0800
(Referring to Dayna's recent involvement with a cult compound
critter-rescue raid)  [though I don't think Dayna said this.  BIG]

>Oh my goodness! What a scarey day this must have been. Made me so sick I
>threw up at the thought! Why can't the cops do something about things
>like this?

The basic function of the police is to maintain the current status of
society - not "justice".  So whatever is currently popular with society will
be supported, what isn't won't be.

Classic case is Proposition 215 on California's ballot.  The police are
*enraged* that a bill that will for all intents and purposes legalize
marajuana is ahead in the polls by a 2:1 margin.  Pot dealers are mostly
harmless and stupid, and make police agencies look good with "drug
busts"...Dan Lundgren (state Attorney General) has gone so far as to urge
newspapers to boycott "Doonesbury", insane as that sounds.  Right now, in
the areas of Ca where pot is grown, the CHP are doing "safety checks",
basically using any excuse available to pull over cars/trucks/whatever
during the current harvest season - random search and siezure.  Personally,
I *love* prop 215, although I've never tried (and never intend to try) pot.
It's a wonderfull blow for personal freedom.

With ferts, every ferret caught in Calif is evidence that DFG needs a bigger
budget for Warden's salaries, hence DFG is *ruthless* in digging up ferrets
even on a rumor.  Local cops don't gain by busting ferts, so often ignore
them.

Law enforcement is not always based on rationality, and is *seldom* based
on justice.