From:
"Stines, James" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 20 May 2003 15:02:28 -0500
I was just thinking of the poor people out there who go and get a ferret
without properly preparing themselves.  Once in, they realize they are in
too deep.  Add on to that the possibility that ferret has come down with
one of it's common ailments and the unwary owner is simply overwhelmed.

It breaks my heart to this day that I was part of that group at one time.
I was introduced to ferrets back in 1992 while in high school.  Wheezer
was my very first.  Later I found Pym at a flea market and took her home.
She was a biter and came down with adrenal.  At the time, no vet in Fort
Worth could diagnose it.  Worse yet, they did not tell me that ferrets
are specialized and few vets know anything about them, but took my money
anyway.  So, being very young and out of money, I did the only thing I
knew to do and took her to the Humane Society.  I did not know about
ferret clubs, I did not have a computer, and there was no one (not even
vets) who could point me in the right direction.

So, when I hear stories of a person leaving there ferret with a vet,
anonymously or in the middle of the night, I feel pity for them, but
thankful they put them in a location that they may have a chance (as
opposed to dropping them off on the side of the road or a dumpster).
So don't be too hard on the abandoners who make an effort to preserve
the life of their fert, they were just not prepared.

James, Melissa & Kassidy

Loving:  Bebe, Jako, Riley
Missing: Wheezer, Pym, Ricki