Reply To:
The Ferret Mailing List (FML)
Date:
Sat, 11 Dec 1993 17:38:51 -0500
     I have alittle more information about taurine that I discovered
last night while reading the different kitten and ferret food packages.
Charlie Cook had sent a letter to the list stating that Iams did not have
taurine listed as one of the ingredients. Charlie you are so very
right! It really worried me when I did not see it listed. However
after the ingredients was this statement,"Chicken provides a natural
source of taurine." Aha! The first ingredient in Iams is Poultry-By-
Product meal and the second is Chicken. It has a min. Protein of 34%
and min. Fat of 22%.
     The Hill's Science Growth also has Poultry-By-Product Meal as the
first ingred. but listed second is Ground Corn but Hill's is enriched
with taurine, it is listed in the ingredients. Hill's has min. Protein
of 33% and min. Fat of 23%.
     The Mini Friends ferret chow by Purina also does not list taurine.
At least it didn't a few years ago when I bought it. The first ingred.
is Poultry-By-Product Meal and second is Corn. It has min. Protein of
38% and min. Fat of 12%, which is quite a difference from the first two.
     I guess what I have learned is that as long as the first ingred.
is high quality protein preferably chicken, taurine will be naturally
supplied. And if the second ingred. is a vegetable such as corn, it
would be wise to supplement it with taurine as did Hill's Science.
I'm still not sure about the ferret chow. You cannot tell how much
taurine is supplied even though it has 38% protein, how much of that
is plant protein?
     I'm sorry if I got carried away but I feel that nutrition is very
important to our ferrets well being. Good nutrition can certainly
help provide our furry loved ones with a long and healthy life.

                                     Judy and two sweet potatoe
                                     babies Weezul & Teebone