From:
Debbie Riccio <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 18 Jun 1996 08:20:45 -0500
Here's my 2 cents on shelters begging for money:

IMO, I think it's inappropriate.  There are many shelters on this list - and
all of them struggle to care for their charges.  You never hear about them
because they don't post their prolems.  They try to handle a financial
crisis themselves - this is an ongoing problem when running a shelter, and
if a shelter is truly unable to find a way to take care of itself, then it
shouldn't be operating as such.

All shelters are always going to need money - not only are there unexpected
medical emergencies, but food, housing, litter, blankets, laundry expenses,
gasoline to get back/forth to rescue ferrets and trips to the vet - the
bills just don't stop.  All it takes is 1 very sick little ferret to wipe
out a shelter's account - or at least put it dangerously low.

Most shelter people use much of their own money - our shelter director isn't
reimbused for gasoline when she makes vet trips or goes on a rescue - and
she may drive hours to pick a ferret.  The trips back/forth to the vet alone
are gas-consuming.  Running a shelter is not a money-making project.  You do
it because you love ferrets.

I'm not saying that shelters shouldn't try to find ways to raise needed
funds - some are affiliated with local clubs that help support them - and
adoption fees bring needed cash as well; many vets working with shelters
offer them special rates and discounts - some sell merchandise with profits
supporting the shelter.  Some have garage sales and raffles - some groups
have ferret shows.  Some have regular and/or generous contributors - but I
just don't the FML is the place for it.

Yes, it's true that we can just flip through the post and not read it - but
it seems like the same shelters over and over again, use the FML as its main
resource - tugging on very sensitive FML hearts.

I'm not alone in my feelings - I've discussed this with other groups, and
frankly some of us find it tacky.

If you want to support a shelter - support your own local group - there's a
shelter in just about every single state - some have more than one - you can
do more for your own local shelter than just give money - spend a few hours
cleaning cages, playing with ferrets, doing some laundry; bring them some
food and litter - a bunch of baby blankets and towels - it doesn't have to
be money - give them a book of stamps.\

See what I mean?  see how much you can do?

I think it would nice if some the shelters on this list vocalized more often
about what services they provide and the kinds of problems they face -
FMLers would see that these problems are common all over the country and not
just isolated to 1 or 2 shelters on this list.

I've probably said more than 2 cents worth.

Debbie Riccio
WNYFLFA
Rochester, NY