From:
Cindy Sooy <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 10 Aug 1995 08:31:00 UTC
I'm one of those awful people who breed badger ferrets!:) I'm a small time
breeder, 2-3 litters a year. I've read articles on blazes and the gene for
deafness going hand in hand but I have never had a problem with my badger's
hearing. I have a badger hob who consistently throws badger kits. His
hearing is the best of any of my ferrets. He can be at the opposite end of
the house and he can hear a jill having an "argument" with another and he
flies over there in record time. I have 3 badger jills, all with very good
hearing. I know because they all look up when I call them. (Notice I didn't
say they come when I call them, but I can tell that they hear me :) ). I
guess maybe my guys aren't carrying the gene for Waardenburgs syndrome and
that's why I haven't had a problem. I would never breed a deaf hob and a
deaf jill would not take care of her kits if she couldn't hear them cry. My
breeding ferrets were purchased from reputable breeders. I'm also interested
in the incidence of deafness in badger ferrets. I think the occurance may be
overrated.

Cindy