From:
Margaret Zick <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 10 Feb 1997 13:35:21 +0000
Hi Everyone,

Before the answers I want to give a little general info.  There are
different stages of feeding an animal and they usually correspond to how
well or ill the animal is feeling.  Eat on their own--given food will freely
eat by themselves.  Hand Feeding-Will eat freely but must be held and given
the food.  Force Feeding-Batten down the hatches and work on the swallow or
drown principle.  This can involve with ds and ferrets, just pushing the
dropper in their mouths, prying their mouths open, and the worst of all,
sticking in the cheek and letting in run in (and everywhere else).  And the
last step in intubating and feeding (I don't do this!) These stages are a
helpful guide to tell you vet when you visit with a sick animal.

Bill Weber Writes:
>They seemed to hit it off really well-no major fights, so I was thinking of
>putting them in the same cage, but I have no idea what to expect.

If they aren't fighting and like each other, put them together.  I have 19
total.  16 of mine stay together, the other 3 stay together.  The 3 that
stay apart have a hard time with the big crew due to illness/disabilities.
Otherwise everything is wonderful and they make great big ferret piles when
they sleep.

Mark Zmyewski writes:
>Subject: Pet store charging differently for each color/pattern!

There are many pet stores in Houston that do the same thing.  It breaks down
to a matter of supply and demand.  Any color that is slightly unusual will
have more people wanting it.  It galls me to as I was friends with a pet
store employee and I know for a fact that they pay exactly the same price
for the ferrets they had (all were MF's).

Natalie writes:
> Subject: Poor Riki !

I know how hard it can be to have a sick baby.  But my Miss Stella looses
weight and hair in the winter.  And she is fine.  I do have a couple of
suggestions for you.  Just to make sure, take his temperature.  Put some
vaseline or k-y on a thermometer and insert.  Since he likes Linatone, you
might put that in front of him on the counter to distract him.  A ferret's
normal temp should be around 101.  There can be some small variations.  If
it is any higher that 102 I would try very hard to at least get a basic exam
at the vet's.  You might have an infection going on.

As for the food, it would be better to get him off the "junk" food.  Have
you tried Purina One?  It would be better.  You could drizzle small amounts
of Linatone on it to try and get him to accept it.  As for weight gain, try
some duck soup.  You may have to force feed the first couple of times, but
usually they develope a taste for it right away.  You might also try mixing
in some egg or heavy cream for the fat.

You might also try letting him out more and playing games with him.  My guys
love the poles made for cats, they chase the toys around.  If his activity
level is increased then his appetite should go up too.  Its never too late
to make changes with these guys.  Play chase with him, give him some balls
with bells in them, or maybe a film canister with a couple of pieces of
food.  It rattles and they can figure out how to open it!  Good Luck!

Mo' Maggie and the 19 Maniacs plus the Felonlious Felines