From:
Claire C <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 23 Jul 2006 10:00:12 -0400
>So, what I'm after is simply a washable fabric cover for each
>ramp/platform that can be removed and re-attached easily, like with
>press-studs or velcro or something.  Preferably without any cutesy
>patterns on them :p

I use indoor/outdoor carpet runner, which is available from any hardware
store in the US.  Buy a yard or so and cut to shape.  It has a rubber
backing so will not fall apart if you cut it to odd shapes.  I used to
just lay it down, but some of the kids like to remodel their rooms and
the carpet ends up covering a hole or fall down a ramp, so now I use a
couple of curtain clips to grab the carpet through the bars.

These rugs can be taken out and vacuumed, which is sufficient most
of the time.  Occasionally I've washed them and left them out in strong
sunlight.  Finally, if they do get too grotty or if the kids dig at them
and create fuzz, they are cheap enough to just replace (a sympathetic
hardware store owner might even let you have the end of a roll for free).

I also have some car carpets, which were already pretty much the correct
size and have a heavy-duty backing with little nubs that fit through the
mesh and hold the rugs in place pretty well.  They were at one of these
stores that sell overstock and odd lots at a discount.

One one level, I have a dog bed that just fits and I hold it in place
with the curtain clips.

Hope this helps.
Claire