From:
Bob Church <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 22 Jun 1996 16:45:52 -0500
Been gone a couple of days to watch my daughter run in a Jr.  Olympics
thang, so I missed all the FML fun!  Gee, Rudy-Bob...need a little bulk in
your diet?  Are you cranky because someone is flashing bright lights in your
face?  Chill-out dude!  Whatever you might think or say about others, it's
pretty clear you are not very tolerant.  You might have heard, "You can tell
the tree by the fruit." Be careful--you are showing your character, and we
can all see.

For those of you not used to Rudy-Bob's scarcastic wit, and having
experienced it myself several times, I offer this piece of advice.  Laugh it
off.  Just consider how little self-worth a person possesses when the only
way they can offer an idea is by attacking someone else.  It ain't worth the
sweat off your...whereever.  *BUT* I remind you that he has the right to be
here, and he has the consitutional right to express himself (or whatever)
within some pretty wide bounds.  It saddens me to read about the nasty (and
unprintable) postings some people have sent regarding his recent musings.
If you want tolerance for yourselves, you have to extend it to others.  None
of us are without fault.  Even me (hard to believe, eh?)

As for the FML, I've always heard that it was a forum to exchange ideas and
other stuff about ferrets.  That includes my boring posts and Rudy-Bob's
nasty ones (at whatever frequency you might think they occur).  Or weddings,
FLO, requests for help, semi-commercial pap; and, yes, even ferret-related
stories.  It is precisely that mixture of ferret crap that makes the FML so
popular.  And popular it is; it has more than 1500 new subscribers since I
joined.  A large part of that is because of the great job BIG does, but it
is also because of what *we* put on it.  I challenge anyone who thinks they
can do a better job to stop complaining and start their own list.  Lists
come and go, but the FML is almost a decade old.  Says something--like maybe
we are all a ferret short of a business.  OK, I'm off the pulpit now.
Sorry.

Oh yeah, Rudy-Bob; please don't leave; I was thinking of starting a "I've
been Flamed by Rudy-Bob" fan club with hats, and t-shirts, and buttons, and
little plastic name tags shaped like a burning letter, and maybe, just
maybe, free Rudy-Bob autographed black-and-white glossy pictures of a
ferret's posterior.  (Tongue in cheek, eh, Rudy-Bob?  A good one.  Not a
flame--just affectionate wit; I'm sure you understand, being a mental PhD
and all.) As for me, you can flame me anytime you like; its har-har funny.
It's like peeing on an electric fence; kind of startling, but in reality,
just a little squirt making loud pops and minor sparks.

That Wacky Bob and his 14 Funky Ferts