From:
Alan Moen <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 27 Feb 1998 12:14:39 -0500
>The 9 who voted NAY ... are ... Andrew Richner (R- Grosse Pte. Park), ...

I spoke with Andrew Richner's (he happens to be my representative) office
this morning to ask for an explanation of his nay vote.  They took my
information and said someone would get back with me.

About two hours later, Representative Richner called me himself and
explained that he didn't know much about the bill, but that his neighbor in
the house (Ms. Scranton from Brighton) was "violently opposed" to the bill.
He said that the bill appeared to duplicate existing legislation and was
really unnecessary except as a public relations move.  So, he voted against
it.  I explained the Kodo incident to him and indicated how the Dept of
Health violated the current law in demanding the ferret's death.  He was
very sympathetic and indicated that he wished I'd called him before the vote
(now *I* feel bad - at least it didn't fail by one vote :-().  He said that
he would see it again if it passes the senate (and I *will* be calling my
senator's office) and based on the information I gave him would be inclined
to support it.  I asked if I could have Micki Wingate (GLFA president) call
him and he said he'd be happy to hear from her.  I called Micki and she'll
give him a call as well.

Bottom line is my impression of Rep. Richner was that he is very reasonable,
listened to my concerns, and I believe that he will vote pro ferrets when
the bill comes back to the house.  It wouldn't hurt for more of his
constituents to call him and express their opinion, but don't treat him
like an enemy.

Thanks to Dee for posting the update!

Alan

--
Alan Moen                           [log in to unmask]
LAN Manager, Wayne State University Counseling & Placement Services