From:
Mini Tafoya <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 27 Jul 1997 12:33:00 -0400
Hello,
It's been awhile since I posted anything.  Life gets all to hectic at times
and we land up playing catch up.  I have also been behind in reading my
newsletters.  Good think I can throw them on disk and take them to work with
me and read part of them there.

Well got some new answers to NM laws.

NM is a kill and test state    Kill first and ask questions later....

1 Ferret has been killed so far this yr  (one too many)

Typical yr 3-5 Ferrets are killed yearly  (3-5 too many)

In the past 3 yrs for sure no ferret has tested positive....Suprise, suprise
as if we didn't know that one

Most ferrets that are killed are ferrets that have been found wandering
around and were not claimed.

NM does not have an approved rabies vac for ferrets...also vets recognize
the Imrab as a suitable rabies vaccine.

Vets recommend giving the Imrab at 14 weeks, although it may not stand up in
a court of law, but it does give the fuzzy owner some ground to stand on.
So I was told.  (my vet charges $5.00 + tax for rabies shot, small
investment to safeguard your fuzzies)

If your ferrets have been raised indoors and never been unattended outside
this will give you also more ground to stand on.  Again so I was told.

Shipping ferrets in from out of state only a interstate health certificate
is required, no shots of any kind are required.  Remember temp restrictions
do apply in the summer for shipping, this is updated on a daily basis.

Now having most of the facts..what needs to be done next???  I need help
here.  What ever I can do to help pass laws in my state to protect my
fuzzies.  I do not take them out in public for fear something will happen.
I am not willing to risk that with my girls.

Any help is appreciated.

Mini Tafoya