From:
Tarra C Lindborg <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
The Ferret Mailing List (FML)
Date:
Sun, 13 Feb 1994 17:24:25 -0500
This is in respnse to Gail and the Zoo about buying ferrets only from
ferret farms.  I have eight ferrets, three of which came from farms
complete with the tatoo in the ear, they are also the only three that are
fixed and descented.  One of the three, Marty, is totally psychotic.  He
is adorable and we love him and hope we can keep him, but he is mean and
naughty, to us and to the other ferrets.  (not to mention the cat)  The
first day I seen him at the store I picked him up and he bit me, no big
deal.  Then the owner, totally amazed that I even tried, wanted to sell
him to us at cost because Marty was a liability to the store, we said no
because we didn't want another ferret.  He then asked if we would just
take him and try to tame him.  We said okay.  Marty attacked my hand so
viciously that I had eight punctures, to the bone, and the owner and Matt
(fiance') had to literally pry his jaws off of my hand, and the owner got
nailed pretty good too.  We have had him now for a while, and we take
very good care of him.  I give him a lot of TLC and when he bites he gets
a thump on the nose and a taste of bitter apple.  He is holdable to some
degree, like if he is sleepy or in a good mood.  Otherwise he attacks us
and the other ferrets.  He has chewed two of the girls' ears so bad the
the tatoos are almost gone.  I guess we should give him back to the store
but the owner doesn't want him and will probably have him put to sleep.
We have four pregnant females due soon, and we are selling them to ferret
lovers first, then to a couple local pet stores that want them.  Along
with the kits will come information and a business card with our number
to call if there any questions or problems.  I cannot bear the thought of
ferrets going to unknowing people, being abused or hurting people, and
the possibility of a "Kansas" lawsuit over our furries.  The biggest
thing I can think of is to give mothers, fathers, and kits lots and lots
of TLC, hands on care.  Can they and do they get that from ferret farms?
There is a ferret farm here in the state, whether it legally counts as
one of your four, I don't know.  But we bought a couple from there who
were the meanest little babies at first, probably due to lack of loving
attention, or the mothers' lack of loving attention.  Now, after
"pleading my case"  (smile)  Would you not consider buying ferrets from
individual breeders like us?  (I am not trying to sell them to you, just
make a point.)

Take Care,
Tarra, Matt, Kodiac, Peanut, Kit, Beauty, Aussie, Quincy, and Marty.

PS  ANYONE INTERESTED IN KITS, DROP ME A [log in to unmask]
    THEY WILL BE READY IN ABOUT 8 WEEKS.  (the first litter, that is!)