From:
Eleanor Mead <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 8 Mar 2005 12:30:28 -0500
Just wanted to give an FYI.  I was told about a great product to help
get a ferret out of an insolinoma seisure whether it be the beginning
of it or whether the ferret is unconscious.  I have tried it and it
works wonderfully where Karo syrup and honey just doesn't do it.  I use
Glutose45 by Paddock industries.  I cannot believe how quickly this works
compared to Karo or honey.  My Wolf has been having seisures off an on
and until I can get him into surgery (having an ultrasound on his heart
to rule out cardiomiopathy first on March 30th), this has been a savior.
I was going to just do medical management because I was so afraid of
losing him on the table but with seisures happening this often, I have
opted for surgery and will take the chance because it is not fair to him
or me to keep going through this.  It is too stressful on his body as
well as it is on my mind.  His dose of diazoxide has been raised again
and he gets pred 3 times a day as well as feedings every 4 hours.  He
also has adrenal disease and is just over 5 years old.

If your pharmacy or local Walmart does not carry Glutose45, you can have
them order it.  It is about $13 a tube and well worth it.  I start with
1 ML syringed and also rub on the gums.  If unconscious or jaw shut, you
can give it to him rectally with a syringe.  You may have to repeat again
with more Glutose45 depending on circumstances.

Eleanor and the 8 fuzzies, missing Winta2 and Rocky