Date:
Mon, 20 Jan 1997 09:22:09 -0500
Hello from Maine!
It was 18 below here last night.  Took my ferrets out to get the newspaper
and they wouldn't even poke their heads out of my jacket!  I have read how
some of you let your ferrets play in the snow.  I wish we had some.  We have
about 2" of frozen slush on the ground here and my guys just slip and slide
on it.  We've had really crazy weather this winter.  When they predict snow
it turns to sleet and freezing rain.  One day it's 50 and the next 5 below.
Both of my ferrets had a real thick coat but seem to be shedding it now.
Guess they can't figure it out either.

I was wondering if there are any members of the FML from the central Maine
area.  I have left a note on the bulletin board at the Pet Quarters to let
folks know about the FML but on the Internet you never know who lives where.
I know Pet Quarters sells a bunch of ferrets but the Humane Society here
doesn't take in ferrets.  I hate to think that they are being turned loose.
We hardly ever see any in the local newspaper for sale.  If there is anyone
in the central Maine area who wants to e-mail me direct we will get right
back to you.  My daughter is a member of the UFO (United Ferret
Organization) out of Massachusetts and there are some members in central
Maine but they might not be on-line.(YET!) Kristen, my daughter, is going to
do her science project this year on her ferrets and at the same time put
together a "FERRET OWNERS MANUAL" with FAQ's and as much information as she
can get together for prospective ferret owners and new parents.  When the
local pet stores sell a ferret you get a sample packet of food and I asked
were I could take them if they got sick and they gave me 2 names of vets.
One store had 1 book on ferrets.  "Ferrets as a new pet" by Greg Ovechka.
Its pretty good but when we bought it they didn't get another one in for 6
months.  I don't know what the other people did for information as the 3
larger bookstores did not have any books on hand, I had to special order
them.  So, Kristen wants to put this basic information packet in the stores
that are selling ferrets.  She wants to be sure everyone who buys a ferret
gets one so she said she won't charge anything for it as long as the store
owners' promise to give one to each new owner.  I have a sinking feeling
that my little animal rights activist is gonna be going through a lot of
paper and inkjet cartridges.  (Last year it was Orcas!)(Whale adoptions in
1995).  Gotta love 'em!

Give all those furbabies a hug from the Maine gang and all our prayers to
those not feeling well.  Keep up the good work BIG as this list is truly a
lifesaver.

Bruce, Kristy and our masters, Kirby and Bandit (the Maineiacs)