From:
William Waters <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 24 Oct 1996 15:05:10 -0400
Melissa Litwicki's story reminds me of something that happened last May.  I
was coming home from Cornell for the summer, so my parents brought most of
my belongings, including my ferrets, home when they visited just before
finals.

Since they weren't sure if my room was still ferret-proof, Cedric and
Alexander were confined to their cage for a week or so, except for playtime
supervised by my sister.  Valerie is the only one in the house who isn't
afraid to touch them [You can't teach old parents new tricks, I guess ;^) ]

Anyway, one day my sister was at school and my Mom went into my room to
empty her things in preparation for my arrival.  She nearly had a heart
attack when she opened the door and there was Cedric on the top shelf of my
floor-to-ceiling bookshelf and Alexander bouncing on my bed.  Afraid to pick
them up, she ran out of the room and closed the door.

She decided that she just couldn't go back in to put them in their cage, so
she drove to my sister's school and had her dismissed.  They arrived at home
and my sister went into the room to take care of these crazed monsters while
my Mom waited by the door.  Valerie says, "come here Mom".  Mom peeks in the
room and there are Cedric and Alexander, fast asleep in their hammock inside
their cage.  Valerie walks to cage, fastens latch and crazed ferrets are
contained once more.

I think that my Mom's liking, or at least acceptance, of the ferrets dated
from that moment.

Bill
Cedric "Climbing bookcases is hard work!!"
Alexander "I was just a baby.  Babies are SUPPOSED to sleep!"