From:
Amy McNamara <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 5 Jun 2000 06:43:19 -0700
Hi everyone-

Catching up on the FML's slowly but surely - I've only got 1/2 a month or
so to go ;OP.

A WARNING ABOUT PLEXIGLASS: Due to Nina being able to leap high and WELL,
we had to layer two pieces of plexiglass & wedge them in the doorway of
their room.  Friday night we heard a loud *thud* from the ferrets' room.
Jack had pulled down the top piece, which fell to the floor.  Jay saw Jack
run off, but thought nothing of it.  Then yesterday I was cleaning the
kids' room and noticed Jack was staying in the hammock while the other 3
came out to play.  I said, "Come on sleepy head, come down & play!" and
he slowly made his way down the two ramps and out of the cage.  I went
about my work, then threw their bedding into the washer.  When I peaked
out I could see Jack at the plexiglass.  So I went over & picked him up.
I had music blasting so I danced with him a bit (he's a WONDERFUL dancer,
a furry little gigalo, you know!  LOL) then spun him on his back on the
Formica flooring (very slippery teehee).  When he "recovered", he limped.
So I swept him up & looked at his right front leg - IT WAS 2-3 TIMES THE
SIZE OF HIS OTHER FRONT LEG!  In between his toes were pink & purple
(bruised) and I could feel something was probably broken by gently pressing
on his paw (maybe I shouldn't have done that, but then again I'm sure him
having an injury like that for almost a day didn't help either *BAD
MOMMY*).  So I rushed downstairs, with Jack still in my arms, and dialed
the vet.  CLOSED!  So I had to call the emergency clinic.  $79.50 for him
to be SEEN.  Additional for x-rays, etc.  I DON'T CARE I told them.  I'm
coming in!!!

$209.50 later, Jack has 4 broken toes ;O(  He now has this bulky ace
bandage on his entire leg (to keep the splint on) and he's in a cage by
himself with none of the levels "installed", a hammock barely off the
ground, & a sweatshirt (a corner litter pan *ack - but he uses those things
so what the heck*, water bottle, water dish & food dish too of COURSE).

We IMMEDIATELY purchased a wooden baby gate & SCREWED the plexiglass to it
so it's not movable - not even us humans can budge it!  SO ANYONE USING
PLEXIGLASS AS A BARRIER, *PLEASE* PURCHASE THE $9.99 WOODEN BABY GATE FROM
K-MART & SCREW THE PLEXIGLASS TO IT!!!  We should have done that in the
first place, ESPECIALLY after they learned how to knock the top piece down.
We had to learn the hard way - please don't make the same mistake.

Luckily Jack has been a real trooper, although the vet suspects he'll be
back every couple of days to get the bandage redone.  *crosses fingers*
please Jack make us prove her wrong!  Oh, btw the vet who saw us is our
REGULAR ferret vet which was nice.  She just saw Jack for his vac's on
4/20 & 5/3.

*hugs* to all the sick (and INJURED) furkids out there, *hugs* to the
shelter mommys & daddys and regular mommys & daddys who've lost a precious
furkid.  Catching up on a month's worth of FML's brings a lot of tears from
all the sick & rainbow bridge posts ;*(

*hugs, dooks, n' barks*

Amy, Jason, & the brat pack (Miya, Nina, Rascal, Jack, & Koty the doggie)

[ps] This was supposed to go out yesterday but I messed up on the FML's
addy (haven't posted in a while - whoops!)

=====
Visit Miya, Nina, Rascal, Jack, and Koty the doggie (along w/ Jason & Amy)
at their website:
http://www.geocities.com/petsburgh/park/9394