From:
Jane Bradley <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 2 Sep 2008 20:02:33 -0400
We lost one under a sleeper sofa several years ago. My husband had
picked the end up so I could get something out from under it. We
thought all the ferrets were back in another room. Socks was slipping
up under it just as my husband sat the sofa back down. A metal bar
broke Sock's neck. We were devastated...... We grieved.......We got
more ferrets....We helped start the local ferret shelter and have had
as many as 31 ferrets in our home at one time....We currently have 19
personal ferrets....We have buried 6 already this year...I have no
doubt we will bury at least one more before the end of the year (I
feel a responsibility those that are older and ill)...So should I have
gotten rid of the sofa, my husband or all the ferrets? The sofa is
finally gone now but we did buy a new one, just not a sleeper sofa.
I've had the husband for over 27 years now and simply refuse to find
a new model at this point. And the ferrets??? NO WAY! When I think of
the many that left our house to a forever home through the shelter...
When I think of how many spent their last days in comfort, dignity and
loved...and when I think of how our lives have been enriched by the
foster ferrets and our personal ferrets, there is no way I would change
a thing and yes....we will get more as time goes on. We have had dogs
during this time...the oldest ended up having to be kept away from the
ferrets b/c they scared him and he would snap at them after he went
blind from cataracts. Should I have gotten rid of him (12/13 years old
and never having hurt one of the ferrets before) or the ferrets at that
point?

I want to publicly announce my support of Alexandra and her husband.
Some of our ferrets were bought/adopted due to the lose of another one.
We were NOT replacing the ones that crossed the bridge - any one that
has lost a ferret know that is not possible. We were wanting to provide
support and companionship for the remaining ferret/s..We were wanting
to share the extra love with another ferret..and the distraction of a
new ferret helps to keep your mind from the grief.

Alexandra...you go girl and PLEASE keep up posted on the Puma, Allis
and the new ferret!!

Jane - current human mom for Charmant, Mia, Benji, Sammy, Fred,
Sparky, Cal, Doby, Maynard, Flower, KayCee, Mama Cass, Dezi, WB,
Rascal, George, Grover, Dru and Lucky