From:
"Michael Dutton, DVM, DABVP" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 10 Apr 1997 08:44:35 -0400
**The advice dispensed by myself in reference to FML postings is not meant
to supplant the advice of veterinarians who are in charge of the patient.
If the patient is not currently under the care of a veterinarian, the client
is recommended to take their ferret to one.**

>From:    Kim Hastings <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: Connection between UTI and adrenal/recreational poofing
>Mike Dutton answered:
>>Not to be the adrenal disease pessimist, but in male ferrets benign
>>prostatic enlargement is a common symptom of adrenal disease.  The most
>>common sign to the owner is an urinary tract infection....
>And now I ask, should I suspect adrenal if my *female* ferret is diagnosed
>with UTI?

Yes, but for a different reason.  The vaginal wall changes that occur under
the stimulation of the estrogen-like compounds secreted by adrenal disease
predisposes the ferret to a bacterial vaginitis and bladder infection.

>From:    Shari Diane <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: Symptom of Adrenal Gland Tumor?
>Rogue, a 3yo female albino, has an inoperable right adrenal gland tumor -
>surgery was March 7th.  For over a month she has been constantly licking...

Yes, licking and chewing things inappropriately can be a sign of adrenal
disease.  As for ligating the vena cava, it is done exactly the way it
sounds.

>From:    "D. Jason Nelson" <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: Medical question
>I have a question for you.  My three year old MF sprite has a swollen vulva.
>This was first noticed a week ago and the swelling has increased.

This is a reasonable plan of treatment.  A urinary tract infection will not
cause a swollen vulva however.

As for repeated use of a shot to keep the ferret out of heat (using HCG -
Human Chorionic Gonadotropin) as opposed to surgically removing the ovarian
tissue, I opt for surgery.  Ferrets are induced ovulators and come into heat
repeatedly over a season.  The goal is to keep estrogen levels low to zero
so aplastic anemia does not occur.

>From:    phoenix <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: Re: mange

Yes, ferrets can get sarcoptic mange (also known as scabies) which can be
spread from other animals and contaminated environments.  Other types of
mange are less contagious to ferrets.

Mike Dutton, DVM, DABVP
Weare Animal Hospital
Weare, NH, USA