From:
Sheena Staples <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 23 Oct 1996 04:35:42 -0700
>From:    Troy Lynn Eckart <[log in to unmask]>
>Dogs and Ferrets - I'm concerned over the recent posts of how to handle dogs
>going after ferrets.  I'm also a little confused.  When we walk the fuzzies
>they are on a halter and leash.  At the least sign of trouble they are
>quickly pulled up into our arms.

Cody was on a harness and leash.  He was also in his owner's hands.  The pit
bull snatched him right out of her grasp.

>From:    Kelly L White <[log in to unmask]>
>My roommate and I found out that Cosette is from a canadian breeder.  We
>couldn't get the petstore to give us a specific breeder name, but I heard
>that there may be some problem with Canadian ferrets,

There are no problems with Canadian ferrets that you won't find in American
ferrets as well.  Some have said Canadians are larger, some have said they
tend to be "mutts" in terms of colour, and some even think they are immune
to ECE.  All I can confirm is that Canadian ferrets are just as ferrety as
the next ferret, and you've got nothing special to worry about.

>and we feel really weird about her because we can't get any information
>about where she came from.

If she is, in fact, Canadian she came from either one of several private
large scale breeders contracted by Hagen Animals, or she came from a large
breeder of small animals called CDC Pets in Manitoba.  Does she have a green
H or an X/Y in any of her ears?  Hagen ferrets are tattooed with an H, and
sometimes an X or Y.  CDC are not usually tattooed.

>What can we do to find out if she's been descented or spayed?

Well, if she sprays she's not descented and if she comes into heat ...
seriously though, don't look for a spay scar, you won't find one.  I don't
suppose something like an ultrasound would determine of there was still a
uterus hanging around?

>From:    Michelle Z Matta <[log in to unmask]>
>if we locked the ferrets inside the cage all day, then that would be a
>differen t story.  But for night use only, any suggestions??

How about a couple of oversized dog kennels?  They fit three ferrets nice
and comfy, plus a small litterbox and food dish for midnight snacking ...
you can usually pick them up cheap second hand in the paper.  Just disinfect
them really well and try to find out why the dogs aren't using them anymore.

We're really jealous about all the ferret shows going on that we just can't
attend cuz they're too far away.  We wanna win some ribbons and meet some
FMLers!  The FAGV is working on show plans, but probably not until late
97/early 98, cuz it's just so much work.  Any news on upcoming shows in
Washington State?

Sheena - [log in to unmask]                           |To Err is Ferret  |
Director - Wherret Ferrets Halfway House & Ferretry  |To Forgive...well |
VP - Ferret Association of Greater Vancouver         |...That's Our Job!|
         We're on the Web! http://www2.portal.ca/~cmc/ferrets/fagv/