From:
Bruce Williams DVM <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
The Ferret Mailing List (FML)
Date:
Mon, 11 Jul 1994 07:36:23 EST
To Chandra and Fergison:

> I have a single (fixed) male ferret named Fergison who is of unknowen age.  We
>are his second owners and the first owners don't remember how old he is, is
>there any way to tell?  They also haven't given him any shots. What shots
>should he be given and when (he is full grown)?

        It is very difficult to tell the age of a full-grown ferret - generally
it is a best-guess estimate based on various ifnormation gleaned from teeth,
eyes, etc.  and not always reliable.

        As far a shots are concerned, Fergison should get a minimum of two
canine distemper shots (or preferably three) given at 3-4 week intervals.  There
are several brands of distemper vacine that are specifically made for use in
ferrets.  Also he should receive one rabies shot (Imrab is the only one licensed
for use in ferrets).  That shoudl take care of it.  While you're at the vets,
you might inquire about the possibility about having him tested for heartworms.

      Bruce Williams, DVM           Department of Veterinary Pathology
       [log in to unmask]         Armed Forces Institute of Pathology
       (202) 576-2453/2454                 Washington, D.C.  20306-6000
and put on monthly preventative.