From:
James Higgins <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 23 Apr 2001 09:05:36 -0400
I personally have eight ferrets of my own, (plus shelter ferrets) along
with one Quaker parrot and two Cockateils.  I would never ever allow the
ferrets to make contact with any of the birds.  Some of the ferrets sit
at the bototm of the bird cage starting up with drool running down their
chins, others pay them no attention at all.  Through previous experience I
can testify that even the most gentle docile ferret can become a vicious
neurotic bird killer at first chance given.  I lost a parakeet to such an
animal.  THe sweetest most loving gentle ferret I have ever seen went into
a state of frenzy the very first time the bird hit the floor.  She was in
the next room and before I could bend and pick the bird up it was in her
mouth being dragged and twisted across the room.  To late for any help I
just stood in horror as this loving little piece of joy changed into a
vicious bird killer, something I had never seen in her before emerged and
took everyone by surprise.  So please under no circumstances allow your
ferrets to intermix with any bird as the results can be terrifying.