From:
Gina Hart <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 17 Feb 1996 12:22:47 -0500
Ah, the pleasures of being a home-owner.  Refinishing floors has taken
precedence over reading the FML, and I am behind again.  Where are my
priorities!?  : )

LOSSES
First, I am so sorry to hear of the tragic losses as of late.  My eyes well
up every time I read of someone's passing; our time with our little guys is
so precious.  My sympathies to Donna for Warlock and Koti Bear, to Debbie
for Angel, and to all others who have lost a loved one or who is battling
illness.  Find comfort in the knowledge that you have offered these little
guys a happy, wonderful, and loving life.

SUBJECT HEADINGS
Great idea, Cheryl!  I think that it is an excellent idea to distinguish
posts with medical questons by placing the words "MEDICAL QUESTION" in the
subject line.  Then, if our wonderful vets are pressed for time, they can
more quickly scan the list to respond to our endless questions!

GOTTA DANCE
Chere, I know I'm too late, but I want you to know that Paleface and I think
you and your efforts are great!  We hope the trip is successful!

BITING FERRETS
Wow, sure does seem that alot of folks are having the "old nipper" problem
again!  Remember, ferrets have significantly thicker skin than two-legged
people.  When ferrets bite each other (for whatever reason), they bite hard
out of the necessity to get a response through that thick skin.  They simply
need to learn that we human people are a little more fragile.  As I have
said before, I believe that the best way to communicate with an animal
person is to "speak their language." Ferrets teach each other and establish
dominance by "scruffing" each other.  When a ferret bites, gently but firmly
take the ferret by the skin on the back of his neck, hold him until he goes
limp, say "NO!" and/or hiss, and/or _gently_ shake/drag him (GENTLY!  These
guys are tough but little!).  Remember that you must be consistent, and you
can't expect this discipline to work after the first try (or even the first
several tries).  Be patient and firm.  Be sure to show your little one lots
of ferret love.

FERRET STAMP
Irene, I sent my suggestion for a domestic pet series, including a ferret
stamp, to the postal committee.  Let's hear from everyone on the FML; what
great press a ferret stamp would be!

ACRYLIC RUGS
For those of you using acrylic throw rugs to protect your "real rugs" or
floors from ferret-ness, please be aware that some ferrets love to chew
on/eat acrylic and polyester and may develop a blockage as a result.  Check
those rugs for chewing frequently!

DESCENTING
To the person who questioned whether or not to descent his ferret:  If you
haven't done so already, don't.  Most current authorities recommend against
descenting unless a medical condition necessitates otherwise.

HAIR LOSS ON TAIL
Someone recently mentioned that their ferret was experiencing hair loss on
his tail, accompanied by yellow flaky skin and blackheads.  This condition,
in my understanding, can be seasonal or can be related to the tail being
dragged on the floor and being dirty.  Supposedly it will dissappear on its
own in one to three months.  You may want to try cleaning the tail with acne
pads.  Keep an eye out for other symptoms of illness or for progressive hair
loss elsewhere on the body which can be indicative of other, serious
illnesses.

PITTSBURGH FERRET PEOPLE/VETS
I am also very interested in learning about good, knowledgeable ferret vets
in our area.  Please forward information regarding them to me and/or post it
on the list!  I have heard the vet on Rt. 8 in Butler recommended via the
STAR Ferret list and by the Ferret Fanciers Club.  I've never been to them
since Butler is quite a distance from me, but I want very much to take
Paleface in for a geriatric appointment with a _knowledgeable_ vet.  He has
been having ongoing health problems since last summer, and I want to be sure
that I do everything I can to keep him healthy.  I'll drive to Butler (or
anywhere else) if the vet is worth the trip.  (Currently, I see a vet in
Beaver, Dr.  Kneueven at the Center Animal Clinic.  He's really nice, says
he treats exotics, and is willing to learn, but I am concerned that he may
not know enough.) _Please respond!!!_

Take care everybody!

Gina
and