From:
Sukie Crandall <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 25 Nov 2007 14:17:37 -0500
>Mixing any med with Carafate/Sucralfate would render it useless, to my
>understanding. Carafate coats the stomach and intestines, which would
>not allow any medications to be absorbed. The protocol I use is to
>give Carafate, wait 15-20 minutes (Dr. Williams recommends a 10 minute
>wait) to feed, then wait 45-60 minutes to administer meds. I believe
>you can also give the meds an hour or so before giving the Carafate.
>The point is that the Carafate needs to be out of the system in order
>for the body to absorb meds. The question is how long that takes. To
>my knowledge, in ferrets, it is less than 30 minutes.

Sorry about missing this. Dad is doing badly again.

Katherine is right about spacing but how long it takes between the
Carafate and other meds, or between the Carafate and food is unknown
for ferrets so people give the best guess.

Carafate coats tissue and settles in like a bandage, so it should not
be given with anything else it might coat. It should not be given w
food ( empty stomach is best) and there should be a longer wait between
Carafate and other meds. Some can be decreased in effectiveness, but
some (like Digoxin) can be rendered useless.

Once it settles into the bad parts of the stomach it will stay there
mostly so then giving the rest is fine.

Sukie (not a vet)

Recommended ferret health links: