From:
Little Dudes Ferret Ranch <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 30 Nov 2005 17:43:22 -0800
All ferret poo aside, I also want to publicly thank everyone for all the
nice cards.  Sometimes it feels as is we're all alone in the corner of a
world where no one knows you and only seen as a dump site for unwanted
animals.  We all keep taking them in knowing we've reached our limit but
keep taking them anyway.  It's easy to understand why so many rescuers
become bitter, intolerant and even rude.  Myself included.  One thing
everyone has in common though, is our compassion for animals despite
how it affects our behavior on the outside.  I also want to thank Ronda,
Brandy and Barbara who perform a variety of functions at the shelter
including microchipping, ADV testing, administering meds and taking home
the sick or terminally ill.

November was a particularly sad month for ferret intakes.  On one of our
adoptathon weekends, we were asked to check out a monstrous ferret that
had still not been adopted at Petco.  Sure enough, he was a big boy at
4-1/2 lbs.  Poor guy just laid there in the typical Petco tank.
Surprisingly, the Petco manager surrendered him to us.  It was obvious
he was concerned about this poor baby and knew he needed a better place.
He was 9 months old and nobody was interested in adopting him.  So Fat
Albert has come to live with us until his new home is found.  I would
like to say in Petco's defense, that their stores are only as good as
the employees.  Honorable mention should go to Kirkland, Factoria and
Issaquah in western Washington State.  The employees at these locations
take home the ferrets nobody wants, are fairly knowledgeable and also
open minded when we try to educate during our adoption days.

The Kitsap Humane Society called and asked us to take 3 more ferrets
that same day.  Someone had moved out and "forgotten" to take them.  They
have been at the KHS for quite awhile so it was time to move them out.
Aside from clumping litter mixed with poop adhered to the bottom of their
little feet, the bigger boy also showed signs of muscle weakness.  They
seemed healthy enough but sure needed work on the outside.  It was pretty
clear they had not had any exercise in weeks, possibly months.  And so
came Tinsel, Bernie and Kiki.

Snoopy and Motley will break your heart.  Motley had been attacked by a
dog and has since had part of his hip/leg bone removed.  He is a darling.
Snoopy only wants to be held and carried around.  He looks at you with
such sad eyes that it's impossible to not succumb to his every wish.

We hope to get them up on the Photo Gallery soon but in the meantime, if
anyone would like to look at these adorably sweet kids, you can see them
on our Petfinder website at www.littledudesferretranch.petfinder.com.

Thanks again to everyone who so thoughtfully took the time to remember
us and appreciate what we do.

Terri