Date:
Thu, 10 Jul 2003 17:41:13 -0400
just want to post my presentation on Computer Aided Ferret Design, which
I promised to do last week.  I don't like to put too many words in my
slides, and went almost entirely images this time, so it probably isn't
very understandable.  but I hope you enjoy the pictures!

here's the gist of my presentation:

   ferrets are fun and energetic, and they bend all over the place.  I
   have tried modelling ferrets in software and find the task difficult.
   in the past, I have modelled ferrets in clay, so I have picked surface
   pasting, a hierarchical method similar to the clay paradigm, as a
   means to model ferrets digitally.  in surface pasting, you model
   features and paste them onto existing surfaces.  there are some
   limitations with current techniques in surface pasting.  in my work, I
   extend surface pasting in three ways to aided the task of modelling
   ferret: 1) make it easier to add limbs and long shapes with projective
   cylindrical pasting and generalized cylinders; 2) reduced warping of
   pasted features by using centroid displacement patches; 3) allow
   features with arbitrary shaped boundary via trimmed patches with
   cylindrical blends.  the resulting ferret is improved over a previous
   model.  and of course, if you can paste ferrets, you can paste other
   less interesting objects as well.

the presentation starts with my short ferret movie which can be found at:
http://www.cgl.uwaterloo.ca/~ssiu/family/movies/odoruponponkorin.mov
[Moderator's note: Slow connection warning: this movie is 11.5MB.  BIG]
[Moderator's note: Cuteness warning: the movie rates.  BIG]
[Moderator's note: Watching at work warning: movie has sound.  BIG]

the actual presentation is at:
http://www.cgl.uwaterloo.ca/~ssiu/school/presentations/gmag03/talk_web.pdf

and for the geeks in the list, my paper in the conference is at
http://www.cgl.uwaterloo.ca/~ssiu/school/presentations/gmag03/cafd.pdf

hope you enjoy my work.  comments and questions are very welcome.
I'll be in London, uk tomorrow-21st and checking email sporadically,
so may not respond until I get back.  but I'd love to hear from people,
especially if you are a London ferret owner who can give me a fuzzie
fix :)

take care.

// Selina, Sprite, Sand, Bear, Dart & Clef
// in spirit - Birch, Dief & Storm
// http://www.cgl.uwaterloo.ca/~ssiu