From:
"Grable, Robert" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 21 Oct 1999 00:56:31 -0400
I've been taking Toby, Renny's intended buddy, to the vet every 10 days or
so.  Finally found one I think is going to work out.  She was recommended
by a vet tech that also runs a fert shelter.  Wasn't listed w/ animal
organizations when we first moved here.  Didn't even think to check back.
May have been able to save or at least help Ren.  (sigh).  Toby was
diagnosed almost 2 1/2 wks.  ago w/ giardia!!  Gave Metranidazole
compounded w/ Amoxi-drops, 0.9cc's 1 x's daily for 14 days.  Seemed a tad
better, then worse.  Went back last week, before 14 days were up.  Wanted
blood work done.  Doc didn't think physical exam or symptoms warranted.
Been feeding Duck Soup variations ever since.  Also, still won't drink.
Only when forced Pedialyte and was " drinking " water, quite a bit, in his
soup.

Today agreed things aren't right.  X-ray of chest & heart looks alright.
Urinalysis tests o.k.  and waiting on blood results.

X-ray revealed inflamed colon.  Fecal showed severe colitis/enteritis.
BTW, last week fecal only showed giardia, less than when first diagnosed.
Palpated while " out ".  Found nothing unusual.  Still has swollen/inflamed
tonsils.  Weight down from 3.8 to 3.0 in less than 3 weeks.  Colonies, and
something in a straight line in feces.  She said also has proliferative
bowl disease.  Has prescribed Baytril, o.5cc's every twelve hours till
liquid is gone.  He hates this more than the Metranidazole which is
compounded in a grape flavor.  I asked about Carafate.  She said Pepto is
better.  1.4cc's every twelve hrs.  Separated from Baytril by one hr.  He
is sore now.  Don't know if it's his gut or maybe from being palpated.

Also, he was put on Amoxi in the very beginning by a different vet. 0.3 mls
every twelve hours.

He started itching yesterday like crazy! Still is.

Still has cold, allergy, congestion and fluid symptoms.  Still has small
amount of clear nasal discharge.  Nose isn't always cold and moist.  Doc
says this is o.k.

Very strange: his poops started developing what looks like white mold on
top today.  Doc says probably a yeast infection but doesn't know what
medicine(s) to give or what dose(s).  He had this a few days after I first
got him.  Other vet said not to worry, especially since fecal was o.k.  He
was on a sweet ferret chow.  I gradually switched him over to TF and it
went away.  ANY help in this area would be greatly appreciated!!

Also, as I suspected, he was NOT born the last week of May as MF
certificate supplied with stated.  I however didn't think he was about a
year though!  This is what the current vet now thinks.  Based on teeth
and their condition.  I went in person to talk with the store mgr. where
purchased.  Said didn't know of any pre-existing health conditions.
Different version as to why returned by previous owner, which I was aware
of.  I told him if return period was indeed limited to 15 days, that he
certainly didn't grow that big that fast.  I didn't figure I'd get any
helpful answers.  Just wanted to try though.

He offered me a job working w/ the small animals.  Great in so many ways
but not.  They need clean hammocks to begin with, and that's the least of
it.  I'm considering but unsure.  Would have to care for rats, hamsters,
gerbils etc.  I would want to focus mainly on the ferts.  Second task:
litter training!

Please send ANY ideas and info.  I cannot handle and do not want to lose
him too.  Still breaking down every day over Renny.

THANKS in advance.  Email or post here.  Prefer email though, since it's
much quicker.

Sonya
Loving and missing Ren ever day in every way.

Wondering if this is what Renny had and no one knew.  She was only checked
twice.  One said fecal revealed staph.  The other doc said no giardia.