From:
Jennifer Hudson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 18 Sep 1999 08:32:51 EDT
I received so many responses, it is hard to personally send thanks to each
of you.  There were almost equal votes for each side, but here is what I've
done.

I called my vet back and talked to him over the phone.  He apologized for
sounding short with me if that was how he came across, but I was not aware
he had an emergency come in after he examined Jack (cat had been mauled by
a dog).  So, he was trying to wrap up my appointment quickly without
upsetting my daughter.  He took quite a bit of timing explaining why he
wanted to wait for a bit to do bloodwork.  His points were valid, he
pointed out that there was a spot on Jack's tail that was a little dry, but
no sores and might just be having a reaction to change in laundry detergent
or something like that, Jack has shed several times since he came home a
year ago from the shelter and he considers the possibility that this is
just the beginning of another shed (that time is approaching), we moved
less than 2 months ago and he could be a little stressed though showing no
personality changes, and/or sometimes a fuzz will lose some hair for no
real reason, it just happens!  He asked for me to bring Jack in again (free
of charge) end of November or immediately if I notice increasing hair loss.

He was not dismissing anything, but does not completely trust the
bloodtests, they can be wrong both ways (yes when no, no when yes).  Has
quite a ferret following and has excellent recommendations.  I spoke with
his staff also and they offered me quite a list of other clients I could
call for references that have fuzzies that have been successfully treated
for various problems.

So for now, we are waiting 2 months, keeping an eye on him and treating
his tail for the patch of dryskin (and switching to the sensitive skin
detergent for laundrying their hammocks and blankies).

Thanks so much to everyone for their input and advice.  You guys are great!

Hugs to all the fuzzies.

Jen and Gang