From:
"Michelle Z. Matta" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 6 Feb 1996 09:54:00 -0500
BREAKDOWN OF FML:

I personally don't mind the FML the way it is, but Cheryl had a very good
suggestion.  It made me think of another mailing list I subscribe to.  It
doesn't come to me the way the fml does, as a newsletter with x number of
messages.  Each time someone posts a message, it comes directly to me as a
subscriber.  However, one aspect of this list could be put to use for the
FML:

The other list has a breakdown within the main list.  For example, the FML
would be the general list.  But then there would be sub-lists within the
FML, like FML-Medical, FML-Political, FML-Stories, FML-Questions, etc.  Not
using these examples in particular, but you get the idea.  The FML would
just be broken down to more specific groups.....messages would be sent
directly to these groups and we could have the choice whether or not we
wanted to subscribe to each particular group.  For those who would rather
not read the Political aspects of the FML (ie: Congressmen letters, passing
bills, etc), they simply wouldn't subscribe.  I think most people would
subscribe to all, but it would at least give each person a chance to choose
what they would subscribe to.  Instead of one big mailing list called "FML",
have a breakdown and receive 4 or 5 smaller, to the point, FMLs.

Of course, I have absolutely NO IDEA what would be involved in this process,
so I could be talking out of my ear for all I know.  This might make triple
the work for BIG, but only he would know this.  Just my $.02 worth of air.

Mish

[Moderator's note: It wouldn't mean more work is people voluntarily used
a convention such as that.  I'd rather see that than trying to categorize
each post and change the subject or assume people would send to the proper
sub-list.  BIG]