From:
Anonymous Poster <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
The Ferret Mailing List (FML)
Date:
Wed, 9 Mar 1994 23:26:46 -0500
I am reprinting the following at the request of NYC Friends of
Ferrets.  I have checked the FML archives a ways back and don't
see any reference to this.  If it was posted recently, I'm sure
there are many new FML subscribers who may want to participate
and have never seen it.

PLEASE PLEASE note the last paragraph asking that the letter
writing campaign _NOT_ appear orchestrated by the NYCFOF.

<--------------Start of Reprint------------------------->
        ATTENTION FERRET-LOVERS

Sub: _NYC_Friends_of Ferrets_vs._NYC_Dept._of_Health_

Feb 22: The NYC Friends of Ferrets' federal lawsuit
challenging the NYC Health Department's anti-ferret
policies has gone to the judge to decide on the City's
motion to dismiss.  After NYCFOF filed more than 500
pages of documentation in support of ferret-owners rights, the
City filed a mere three-page reply in which the following
assertion was made:

        "A person whose ferret is found within the City, which is
        taken and euthanized to facilitate rabies testing, is not
        entitled to prior notice and a hearing any more than a per-
        son in possession of a pound of heroin is entitled to notice
        and a hearing before the heroin is destroyed."

A letter-writing campaign to the judge in this case is
urged.  Please promptly write a brief letter explaining
why you believe ferrets make good companion animals.
You may enclose a photo, if you like.  Do not be hostile or
admonishing.  Just state a case for ferrets.

Write to:

Hon. Allen G. Schwartz
U.S. Federal Courthouse
Foley Square
New York, NY 10007

P.S. - Letter writing should not appear orchestrated by
NYCFOF.  You may say you read about the case in the
AFA newsletter or the newspapers, etc.  Thanks!