Date:
Sat, 16 May 1998 20:24:20 EDT
I noticed a post in today's FML asking for help blocking a doorway/stairway.

I have found a vitually (no one in their right mind believes they can
completely stop a determined ferret) ferret proof barricade.  Now I deal
with a lot of rescues.  Rescues are usually ferrets that are already
accomplished escape artists.  I am a very short person so this presented a
particularly challenging situation to me.

Solution:

Using hinges or locks I cover the bottom portion of the area to be blocked
with a minimun 24" tall barrier.  Now this can be plywood, plexiglass, or
any other smooth surfaced material that they cannot climb.  And for your
leapers that jump up grab the top and scale the mountain I add a split paper
tube.  Usually from a wrapping paper, map holder, or even PVC pipe on the
top.  The rounded edges prevent even the most stubborn from climbing over.
THIS is not fool proof..... I have seen them move things over the to barrier
that permitted them to leap directly to the top and over the walls..... but
provided you are cautious about what you put out that they can move to help
them clear the fence I have found this to be THE most effective barrier in
the 5 years I've been associated with these guys.

I cannot and will not take credit for the idea.  It came from someone else,
but I have their full permission to share it with the world.  Give it a try.
It works, and is relativly inexpensive.

Marie Davis