From:
poleKATparsons <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 10 Dec 2003 18:40:26 -0800
I got this from someone who asked me to post it.
kat

==========================

**Anyone near Palatine,Illinois Petco store to help ferrets?**

I have asked Kat to put this on the FML in hopes that someone can visit
the Petco store on Dundee rd. in Palatine, Illinois.  No one there has
a clue as to how to care for ferrets.  Really.

The folks there seem nice and all.  but they have had no training
whatsoever, they told me.  They do not know how to scruff, how to
trim nails, how to clean ears.  THEY DID NOT EVEN KNOW THEY HAD TO
TRIM THE NAILS.

The ferrets there had nails so long, I had to put a halt on my plans for
the day, and wait for someone to have time to get the manager, and key
to open the plexi-glass container.  NO ONE knew how to trim nails, so I
did it.  One person watched, but I think he was too afraid of hurting a
ferret to try trimming.  My arms are deeply scratched, and red.  No one
is going to take these guys home with daggar nails.

WORSE..these guys are about a year old, and are not being let out to
exercise.  There are no leashes there, nor does the staff know a thing
about ferret leashes.  There were no toys to play with.  There is no
exercise given.  These guys have gone about a year with no litter box.
Training at this late stage?

If anyone can go in and give the staff written info on ferrets needing
distemper shots, exercise, etc., and show them again how to trim nails,
show them how to scruff, and bring a leash so these poor crazy things
can get some exercise, the ferrets would have a chance for a home, the
staff could learn about ferrets, and the poor things could get a little
exercise and mental stimulation that they have to have.

Another Petco store near by no longer trains staff either.  I don't get
it.  I have not gone in for a few years to educate in the area, and no
longer have time.  I have too many of my own now to care for, along with
major changes in my life.  Apparently, there is no longer training for
staff at Petco around here.  These guys I spoke to all wanted to do right
by the ferrets, but had no idea how to do that.

Any help would be appreciated, unless an all new staff that knows what
they are doing is installed.  Call before going to be sure the full
grown large males are still there, in case they are transferred to
another store.

Many thanks, and happy holidays.

=====
KITY=^..^=KAT's Fuzzy Frenzy [+15](-14)...
Check my page for ways to HELP SHELTERS...
http://ferretlover97.terrabox.com
THE SHELTER GIVING TREE... http://givingtree.friendsoffuzzies.com/
THE ADV GIVING TREE... http://www.mkaresq.com/ADV/adv_giving_tree.htm
My Help4ADV Page....  http://help4adv.terrabox.com
My SleepSack Page... http://ferretlover97.terrabox.com/sleepsack.html
"Love is what's in the room with you at Christmas if you stop opening
presents and listen," Bobby - age 7