Date:
Sat, 12 Jan 2008 13:38:43 +0000
Im so sorry you had to go through this. I've been there once before
also.

A vet that I have seen upon occasion, well actually his wife turned me
down because I hadn't been there in over a year. My Snoopy was in pain
after a surgery and I was at a loss. My vet off for the day (seems
like all the ferret vets I know are off on Thursday)and they couldn't
find it in their hearts to help me. I was upset, no I was mad. What
did it matter that I hadn't been there in awhile? I was still a paying
customer? I sent a letter to the vet in question. And I've never been
back. No one, not one person has a right to bash your or put you down
for not having a necropsy either. That is simply your choice. Some I've
had necropsies on, others not. One passed within a day, I chose not to
do a necropsy on him. It was my choice. I lost 8 count, eight personal
ferrets this year. I did not do a necropsy on any of those eight. Does
that make me a bad ferret parent? I don't think so. Take it, most I
knew what was going on. Insulinoma, adrenals, kidney's, failed pancreas
etc. But even on a couple I didn't. I chose to put that money towards
something else, another vet visit. It's a personal choice. I feel bad
that people do not have compassion at a time like this but would rather
nail you for your choice.

I have one expert ferret vet in emergency (40 minutes away) but not
each time can I make it out to see him. The emergency vet close charged
me 230.00 to put down a kid that was a definite walk in PTS. I was
appauled at their candor. I would NEVER go back there. It was uncalled
for and unjust along with unwarranted. I've been at the point with a
kid litterly dying in my arms stopping at vets along the route, calling
vets asking if there was anyone that could simply help him cross..
nope. He died in my arms on the freeway. I learned that the one
emergency clinic I can count on.. the owner trains all of his vets on
staff in the emergency care of ferrets. I applaud him. Even if it's
something beyond what they know, they can call him. I applaud him. He's
a wonderful, caring ,compassionate man. I have a wonderful vet that has
seen me on the drop of a dime in between surgeries cause he knows if I
walk in during surgery time, it's important. He's wonderful and he
knows who he is.

Compassion and the willingness to address a animal owner in a dire
situation goes a long way with me. For those not even willing, well
they know where they sit. I make it a personal choice to let them know.
Whether it does any good or not. For vets out there willing to learn
even a little beyond what they were taught, something as simple as
helping a kid to cross when it's needed, I applaud you. It's true, i
found another wonderful vet that saw me on a dime a few months ago
in an emergency (daytime) situation. He's close and I although not a
regular customer (he knows another vet treats my ferrets) he saw me on
two seperate occasions to help me put a fur kid down, I applaud him
also. He showed compassion and caring in a situation and ran with it.
Though he does know he won't see my ferrets on a regular visit, he
knows that he's gained trust and knows that I will pass on word to
another ferret parent that didn't have a regular vet to him.

Trust, compassion and caring goes a long way.